5 Tips for Small Businesses Which Will Drastically Improve Your SEO
By Charlotte Ross / July 16, 2019
Most companies searching for business tips these days are looking for helpful advice on how they can improve their SEO. It seems that online marketing has become a significant challenge for many companies, both large and small, as the internet has become the world’s most prominent trading domain.
While the internet provides a world of convenience to consumers, it can provide a somewhat enormous challenge for businesses who are trying to get off the ground. Companies that know how to create an effective SEO strategy have a clear advantage over those businesses who do not.
And why does this happen? Well, it all really comes down to your SEO efforts and strategy.
What Does a Poor Search Engine Ranking Mean?
What makes one business’ SEO strategy more effective than the other? Well, the one thing you need to know about SEO is that you cannot just do it once and hope for the best. Instead, you have to actively keep both your SEO and content marketing efforts up and going and only then will you start to see positive results.
As a small business owner or even a start-up business, you might worry about how you are going to compete with bigger companies that have been dominating the search engine results for years. The thing is that you do not need to compete with them specifically. You just really need to focus on designing an effective SEO strategy.
At the end of the day, the company that features in position 1 in a search engine results page does not necessarily have the best product or service to offer; they just have the best SEO strategy and campaign.
If you have been worried that a poor search engine ranking means that you have an inferior service or product offering, you would be wrong! The time to put the work in to boost your SEO results is now.
SEO Tips for Getting Your Small Business Off the Ground
We are often asked for actionable SEO advice and tips for the small, medium, and even large business – and we would love to share some with you.
If you are looking to boost your SEO efforts and start enjoying a more visible presence online, these tips are designed especially for you.
• Focus on local SEO by creating your Google My Business page. Ensure that it is correctly completed and features as much relevant information about your business as possible for best results.
• Develop an active online presence on a variety of social media platforms. While this is an essential part of an SEO strategy, you must not take on too much too soon. Only join social media platforms that you can actually manage and maintain, otherwise, it will reflect poorly on your business image if the page is not handled effectively. You also need to branch out on social media, for instance, if your business focuses on vegan foods, join vegan groups and pages and start communicating with the community. Do not do anything with a “hard sell” approach – merely be that friend providing helpful advice.
• Connect with your audience. Post engaging content and encourage your audience to comment and share their thoughts. Do not leave it there, though! Keep the conversation going – develop online relationships with your audience. Google likes to rank business pages that appear to be adding genuine value to the community it serves. This type of activity is viewed favourably.
• Carry out thorough keyword research. You need to ensure that your content includes keywords that your specific target audience is actually searching for. If you already have traffic to your website, get a report on the search phrases, customers are typing into your website’s search features. Also, create a list of essential keywords by using a keyword research tool such as Google AdWords Keyword Planner.
• Position yourself as an expert in your field. This is quite easily done with a blog linked to a social media presence. Make sure that you regularly post content that will be of interest to your target audience. The more exciting and insightful your content is, the more it will be engaged with, and that means better things for your Google search results. Google favours content that offers value to its audience, and if you create content with this in mind, you should see your posts featuring high up in the Google search engine results.
When it comes to adhering SEO tips and advice, it can be hard.
There is no magic wand to wave to ensure that your business makes it to the top of the search results. However, if you are passionate about your business and its products and services, you can achieve the results you desire and establish yourself as an expert in your field.
Follow the above tips and pointers to get your business SEO efforts off the ground.
You can find Charlotte here: